Goat meat is a delicacy that many people love. It can be prepared whole or cooked in parts. The goat leg is a favourite for goat meat lovers due to its tenderness. There are various ways of preparing the goat leg and one of them is by slow cooking. The recipe provide below is for preparing slow cooked Jamaican curry using the goat leg.
- Three pounds of goat leg cut in chunks.
- Roughly one half cup cooking oil.
- Two teaspoons of minced garlic.
- One medium sliced onion.
- Four to five tablespoons of curry powder.
- One teaspoon of white pepper.
- One to two teaspoons of fresh thyme.
- Two sliced green onions.
- Two to three medium-sized potatoes.
- One tablespoon of tomato paste.
- One scotch of bonnet pepper.
- One tablespoon of Bouillon powder. This is optional.
Season the goat leg with salt & pepper and set aside. Heat oil over medium heat in a large pot until it is hot enough. Add the meat and sauté while removing any browned bits from the pot. Do this until the meat is brown. Add curry and stir for two minutes. Then add the white pepper, thyme, onions, tomato paste, garlic, scallions, and scotch bonnet pepper. Stir this mixture for about one minute. Pour in water enough to cover the leg and bring it to a boil. Let is simmer until it becomes tender. This can take about two hours depending on the size of the chunks. For the last fifteen to twenty minutes before removing from stove, add the potatoes and the bouillon powder. Cook until the potatoes reach desired tenderness. For a thick curry goat leg, let the potatoes cook further. The thickness of the soup can be adjusted by adding more water or stock. After the potatoes are cooked according to your preference take the meat from the cooker and serve while hot.
The above method can be used for the slow cooking of goat meat in general.