Smoking a goat is one of the most ancient ways of preparing goat meat. The recipe below is for smoking goat leg. The procedure will incorporate a barbecue session and it is important to know a few things beforehand. For the first few hours, the rate of cooking is quite slow and this means that what happens during this stage is the absorption of smoke flavor. The second phase involves the softening of the collagen tissue that holds a lot of moisture. The third stage is where the actual cooking begins and at this point, the leg can be wrapped in aluminum foil to prevent the moisture from escaping.
- One goat leg
- 25 grams of salt
- 100 grams of black treacle
- 10 grams of crushed black peppercorns
- Rub the goat leg with the salt and set aside for about fifteen minutes. Alternatively, you can wait until the surface begins to sweat.
- Rub the treacle all over the leg. Season with pepper. Smoke slowly in the covered barbecue or oven at temperatures of about 110 degrees Celsius.
- Remove the leg and wrap it in greaseproof paper. Return it to the barbecue smoke. Leave it for about two to three hours.
- After that, you can take the leg out. Allow it to rest in a warm area for at least half an hour before serving.
Wood smoke has a unique effect on the meat. Slowly smoked meat has been around for quite some time now. The only difference is how the various cultures do it. Meat has a unique place in the history of the different communities around the world. That is why there are many recipes for preparing meat. Smoked meat, for instance, is prepared in very many different ways. The above recipe is common in South America where people have practiced large-scale ranching for a long time. However, as many culinary professionals will advise from time to time, in cooking there is always room for experimentation. Try out different recipes in different ways to be more knowledgeable.